I come to you today with a huge exciting announcement. Next year, April 26th – 27th, I’m co-curating an art show for asexual identifying artists. Next April, there is going to be an international asexual conference in Canada entitled, “Unthinking Sex, Imagining Asexuality: Intersectional and Interdisciplinary Perspectives.” As part of the conference, there’s going to be an art show in a gallery featuring the work of asexual-identifying artists. This would be an amazing thing to put on your resume. We’re also going to have a table to display books and zines written by asexual writers.
I am super excited to have been offered this opportunity and I hope that some of you will consider submitting work. I have interviewed so many talented artists and I’d love to show off your work to the world.
My co-curator, Heather, and I have written up the following call for artists. I’m looking forward to hearing from many of you.
CALL FOR ARTISTS
The inaugural international conference “Unthinking Sex, Imagining Asexuality: Intersectional and Interdisciplinary Perspectives” will be held April 26-27, 2019 at Simon Fraser University’s Harbour Centre Campus in Vancouver, located on unceded Coast Salish Territory, the traditional territories of Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. We are excited to announce an Asexual Art Show to be held in tandem at a local gallery in Vancouver, and we want your work!
Submissions will be received up to 12:00pm (Pacific Standard Time) on:
Tuesday, January 1, 2019
- To apply to this Call for Artists you must be someone who self-identifies as asexual and/or aromantic (including gray-asexual, demisexual, or on the ace spectrum).
- You must be someone who creates art, broadly understood (including, but not limited to: painting, digitized art, visual poetry, mixed media, photography, drawing, printmaking, etc.).
- Authors and zine-makers are also welcome to submit work (there will be a table to display written works by ace-identifying creators).
- This exhibition does not charge exhibiting artists to display their works.
- Unfortunately, due to the size and nature of our gallery space, we are unable to accept any sculptures or installation art. Please only submit 2D, and/or ready wall-mounted 3D works.
- Attach to email no more than 5 images of your work (.jpg format- 300 dpi, no more than a total of 5MB).
- Should you be submitting more than one work for consideration, please provide only 2-3 images of each work.
- Proposed artwork must include title, material(s), dimensions, and date.
- Please include a short bio (75 words max).
- Please also include an artist statement that provides an introduction to your practice and artworks submitted (250 words max).
- Selected artists are responsible for delivery, or shipment (as well as return shipping), of their works. Low-income artists, or artists that need financial assistance to participate, may be eligible for financial support.
- Artwork must be ready to display (printed, ready-mounted, or framed).
All submissions must be in pdf format and emailed to aceartshow[at]gmail[dot]com by January 1, 2019 at noon. Artists will be notified no later than February 15, 2019 if their submission has been accepted for the art show.
Should you have any questions regarding the conference or your application, please direct them to Lauren Jankowski and Heather Prost at aceartshow[at]gmail[dot]com
I will periodically reblog this to remind artists who follow this site as well as for anyone who may miss it the first time around.